Our History

The ridges and valleys of the Township of Mansfield stretch out along the scenic Musconetcong River in bucolic Warren County. Founded in 1754 and now encompassing 30.5 square miles, Mansfield is the oldest and third largest municipality in the county. Historic Beattystown, originally known as Beaty's Mill, was settled at least as early as the 1760s. Port Murray, named after a President of the Morris Canal Company, is the largest village in the township. Port Murray and Rockport, now home to the state pheasant farm, grew as stops on the canal, completed in the 1830s. Today, Mansfield is the fourth most populous municipalities in the county. Residential, agricultural and commercial life coexist harmoniously in the township.